SUCCESS IS NOT OBTAINED THROUGH WISHFUL THINKING
Sheikhul Hadith Hazrat Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya Sahib رحمه الله writes in Aap Bīti that Hazrat Moulana Abdul Qādir Raipuri رحمه الله was informed that a certain person on seeing the strenuous programmes being carried out by the locals commented that he would be unable to uphold that amount of effort. In an excited manner, Hazrat Raipuri رحمه الله said: "If any of you know of a house where you can find two pieces of roti, ready and baked, without any effort or payment, then I am prepared to go there with you and fill my basket, so that I can also attain something at least. Some friends complain of only having to turn the mill-stone. I say, turning the mill-stone only comes later. First of all, the ground has to be ploughed, then good seeds have to be planted, and long thereafter will the corn grow and become ready for being grounded into flour. After the corn has grown, it has to be cut, the chaff must be separated from the corn and only then does the grinding take place. When the flour is produced, it first has to be kneaded thoroughly while a fire is made for baking the dough into bread, during which you still have to bear the heat of the oven. When the bread is ready, one still has to break off pieces and chew them thoroughly. After all these efforts, if the bread becomes digested, you should consider it only as the grace of Allah Ta'ala. Otherwise, the chewed bread can be vomited out."
R E F L E C T I O N S
Hazrat Raipuri رحمه الله is sharing vital lessons to reach Allah Ta'ala. In the words of Hakeemul Ummah Hazrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thaanwi Sahib رحمه الله, there is a cause and effect relationship with regards everything we do. We require food to survive, we cannot sit back complacently expecting food to materialise from thin air; we need to search for a job, get remunerated for our efforts, then look after our monies, budget effectively, go to the supermarket to purchase our ingredients, come home and give the ingredients to our wives who will prepare the food and present it to us. This is the system we can understand. In exactly the same manner, to achieve piety entails various disciplines and processes. Some points are detailed below:
1. We have to acknowledge that we need the assistance of Allah Ta'ala in every facet of our lives. There is no room for independence and pride.
2. We need to search for those personalities who can assist us in reaching Allah Ta'ala.
3. Regret and remorse over our past actions are fundamental for us to proceed on this road.
4. Repentance is conditional for success.
5. Steadfastness on virtuous deeds and staying away from sins are vital to sustain our progress.
6. To continuously implore Allah Ta'ala for being diligent on guidance and being granted safety from trials and deviations; we acknowledge that we are weak and will succumb to temptations - therefore plead unto Allah Ta'ala to keep us in His obedience through His mercy.
Let us therefore understand that there is a methodology in obtaining the pleasure of Allah Ta'ala. There are no shortcuts. We need continuous commitment right until the time we return to our Rabb. May Allah Ta'ala bless us with the true spirit of steadfastness and loyalty unto Him!
امين يا رب العالمين